Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Surveillance

One of the diversions associated with having a blog is the ability to gather data on views of your blog. I get only the most basic data, but it can still be entertaining. Based on my experience with other people's blogs, I didn't think I would attract much of a following. For unknown reasons, when I first started, I had a lot of hits from Malaysia, and those disappeared completely. I now seem to have one reader in Canada, one in France and one in Germany, with several in the U.S. There have also been views from Poland, Russia and Australia.

I think most of the views come from my Disqus link that appears on posts that I make at various sites. I seem to have a knack for writing posts that attract attention.  This probably has to do with the fact that I am honest, concise and not a complete idiot. Until I quit it, I was the most "liked" commenter at the NYRblog. My daughter used to read my posts there and we would discuss them later. She now reads this blog instead, but currently she's away at a meditation course in Hawaii and is off-line.

One event that intrigued me had to do with my mention of Vladimir Putin in a post. I had had no views from Russia, but then suddenly I had two from there. Obviously they picked up the name with some sort of monitoring.  Probably dozens of security agencies pick up phrases from all but the most encrypted electronic media.

Last summer was very wet here in Vermont, and it affected the populations of various species. There were more flies than usual, and even in the middle of winter when it warmed up slightly, flies would appear from the bathroom exhaust fans.  We refer to them as the NSA. There were also a lot of snakes last summer, and some of them have found their way into our basement this winter through small holes in the 18th century foundation.  Or perhaps the NSA is ramping up surveillance.

I'll try a test now.  If I stop posting, you'll know what happened:

Free Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

No comments:

Post a Comment